Ophthalmic Optics Catalog
This is a list of popular references on vision, optics, lenses, and dispensing.
Note that certain texts are out-of-print.
Ophthalmic Optics Texts
- Adaptive Optics for Vision Science, by Porter, Queener, Lin, Thorn, & Awwal
A comprehensive text on the principles and applications of wavefront aberrations in adaptive optics and vision correction.
- The Art and Science of Low Vision, by Freeman & Jose
An introductory text in prescribing and dispensing for low vision.
- Bennett's Ophthalmic Prescription Work, by Wakefield
A introductory British text on ophthalmic optics, lenses, and fabrication.
- Borish's Clinical Refraction, by Benjamin
A comprehensive revision of the classic text on ocular examination and refraction, and the standard text on the subject at many schools of optometry.
- Clinical Anatomy of the Visual System, by Remington
A generously illustrated book on functional ocular anatomy from a primarily optometric perspective.
- Clinical Manual on Aniseikonia, by Bannon
The classic text on managing aniseikonia published by American Optical. Out-of-print.
- Clinical Optics, by Fannin & Grosvenor
An excellent book on ophthalmic optics and lenses, and the standard text on the subject at many schools of optometry.
- Clinical Optics, by American Academy of Ophthalmology
A standard text on clinical, visual, and ophthalmic optics that also covers refraction, optical appliances, and instruments.
- Clinical Optics and Refraction, by Keirl & Christie
A British text on clinical, visual, and ophthalmic optics that also covers refraction, optical appliances, and instruments.
- Clinical Optics and Refraction, by Lehmann et al.
A British study guide for examinations and boards pertaining to visual optics and ocular refraction.
- Clinical Visual Optics, by Rabbett & Bennett
An excellent British text on visual optics.
- Collectible Eyeglasses, by Crestin-Billet
A generously illustrated review of unique, historical, and otherwise collectible eyewear.
- Contact Lens Practice, by Efron
A popular British text on contact lens fitting and dispensing.
- Contact Lens Practice, by Mandell
The standard text on contact lens fitting and dispensing. A must-have for any contact lens fitter.
- Diagnosing and Treating Computer-Related Vision Problems, by Sheedy & McMinn
A well-written and comprehensive text on diagnosing and prescribing for computer-related vision problems.
- Diagnosis and Management in Vision Care, by Amos
A copmrehensive text on primary eyecare, refraction, and vision correction. Out-of-print.
- Dictionary of Ophthalmic Optics, by Keeney, Hagman, & Fratello
A dictionary on ophthalmic terminology, particularly in the areas of dispensing and optics.
- Dispensing Pediatric Eyewear, by Schramm
A well-written and comprehensive text on dispensing eyewear for children.
- Essentials of Ophthalmic Lens Work, by Brooks
The standard text on lens finishing and fabrication. An excellent reference for any finishing laboratory.
- The Eye and Visual Optical Instruments, by Smith & Atchison
An advanced Australian text on visual optics and visual optical instruments with an emphasis on mathematical treatments.
- The Fine Art of Prescribing Glasses, by Rubin & Milder
An well-written text on visual optics, clinical refraction, and spectacle dispensing from a clinical perspective.
- Foundations of Vision, by Wandell
An advanced text in vision science and visual perception from a neurophysical and psychological perspective with an emphasis on image processing.
- Geometrical Optics, by Fry
A classic textbook on geometrical optics from the Problems in Optometry series. Out-of-print.
- Geometrical Optics Workbook, by Loshin
A workbook in geometrical optics.
- Geometrical, Physical, and Visual Optics, by Keating
An excellent text on geometrical, physical, and visual optics with an emphasis on ophthalmic applications.
- Geometrical and Visual Optics: A Clinical Introduction, by Schwartz
An introductory text on geometrical and visual optics.
- Introduction to Geometrical Optics, by Katz
A good text on geometrical optics.
- An Introduction to Visual Optics, by Tunnacliffe
An excellent British text on visual and ophthalmic optics. Order from the Association of British Dispensing Opticians.
- An Introduction to the Visual System, by Tovee
An introductory text in vision science and visual perception from a neurophysical and psychological perspective.
- Job Coach for Prescription Shop Operations, by Bausch & Lomb
A classic text on laboratory work that covers basic optics, lens finishing, and lens surfacing. Out-of-print.
- Looking Back: An Illustrated History of the American Ophthalmic Industry, by Bruneni
A well-written and generously illustrated text chronicling the history of the optical industry in America.
- Mirrors, Prisms, and Lenses, by Southall
A classic text in geometrical and ophthalmic optics. Out-of-print.
- Modern Ophthalmic Lenses and Optical Glass, by Obrig
A classic text in geometrical and ophthalmic optics. Out-of-print.
- Modern Optical Engineering, by Smith
A standard text on optics and modern optical engineering.
- Ophthalmic Dispensing, by Stimson
A classic text on ophthalmic lenses and dispensing. Out-of-print.
- Ophthalmic Dispensing and Mechanics, by Epting & Morgret
A classic text on ophthalmic lenses, fabrication, and dispensing. Out-of-print.
- Ophthalmic Dispensing: Present Day Realities, by Drew
A well-written text by a legendary optician on various topics and technological advancements in ophthalmic lenses and dispensing. Out-of-print.
- Ophthalmic Lenses, by Emsley & Swaine
A classic British text on ophthalmic optics and lenses. Out-of-print.
- Ophthalmic Lenses and Dispensing, by Jalie
An impressive, full-color British text on ophthalmic lenses and dispensing considerations.
- Ophthalmic Lenses Their History Theory and Application, by Bausch & Lomb
A 1935 reference on the history of the optical industry and the theory of spectacle lenses, with an emphasis on Bausch & Lomb, and its products. Out-of-print.
- Ophthalmic Surfacing for Plastic and Glass Lenses, by Mancusi
A British text on lens surfacing. Out-of-print.
- Optical Formulas Tutorial, by Stoner
A good reference on common optical formulas.
- Optical Image Evaluation, by National Bureau of Standards
A historical text on optical testing and image evaluation. Out-of-print.
- Optical Radiation and Visual Health, by Waxler & Hitchins
A text on optical radiation and ocular health. Out-of-print.
- Optical Shop Testing, by Malacara
A great reference on optics and testing optical lenses and systems.
- Optics, by Tunnacliffe & Hirst
An excellent British text on geometrical and physical optics. Order from the Association of British Dispensing Opticians.
- Optics, by Sears
A concise, well-written text on geometrical and physical optics. Out-of-print.
- Optics, by Freeman
An excellent text on geometrical, physical optics, and visual optics.
- Optics: An Introduction for Ophthalmologists, by Ogle
The classic text on geometrical, visual, and ophthalmic optics from a clinical perspective. Out-of-print.
- Optics: The Science of Vision, by Ronchi
A text from the 1950s discussing new theories in geometrical and visual optics.
- Optics for Clinicians, by Rubin
An excellent introductory text on geometrical, physical optics, and visual optics from a clinical perspective.
- The Optics of Ophthalmic Lenses, by Morgan
One of the most well-written texts on ophthalmic optics and lenses. Out-of-print.
- Optics in Vision, by Obstfeld
A very useful British introductory text on the optics and correction of the eye and ametropia. Out-of-print.
- Optometry: Science, Techniques and Clinical Management, by Rosenfield & Logan
A comprehensive, yet succinct British text on vision science and clinical technique in optometry.
- Quality of Vision: Essential Optics for the Cataract and Refractive Surgeon, by Holladay
A book on basic ophthalmic and visual optics for ophthalmologists.
- Practical Aspects of Ophthalmic Optics, by Dowaliby
A concise introductory text in ophthalmic optics and lenses.
- Practical Ophthalmic Lenses, by Jalie & Wray
A British text on applications and worked problems in ophthalmic optics and lenses.
- Primary Care Optometry, by Grosvenor
A text on ocular examination and refraction with sections on prescribing spectacle lenses, contact lenses, and low vision aids.
- Principles and Practice of Optical Dispensing and Fitting, by Sasieni
The standard British text on ophthalmic dispensing for decades with a great deal of practical information. Out-of-print.
- Principles of Ophthalmic Lenses, by Jalie
An excellent British text on ophthalmic optics and lenses.
- Professional Ophthalmic Dispensing, by Drew
A classic British text on ophthalmic dispensing. Out-of-print.
- Quality of Vision, by Holladay
An introductory text on visual optics and vision correction with an emphasis on cataract and refractive surgery.
- Refraction of the Eye, by Hartridge
A historical text on visual optics. Out-of-print.
- Refractive Anomalies, by Grosvenor & Flom
A comprehensive text on refractive anomalies and vision correction. Out-of-print.
- Refractive Management of Ametropia, by Brookman
A text on refractive anomalies and vision correction. Out-of-print.
- Renaissance Vision from Spectacles to Telescopes, by Ilardi
An excellent review of the history of spectacle lenses and other basic optics with an emphasis on developments during the Renaissance.
- Spectacle Frames and Their Dispensing, by Obstfeld
A comprehensive British text on the design, production, and dispensing of spectacle frames.
- Spectacle Lens Technology, by Horne
An excellent text on all aspects of spectacle lenses, lens production, and lens fabrication, generously illustrated. Out-of-print.
- Spectacle Lenses: Theory and Practice, by Fowler & Petre
A comprehensive British text on the optics and production of spectacle lenses.
- Sports Vision, by Erickson
A book on vision care for enhancing sports performance.
- System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, by Brooks & Borish
The standard text on ophthalmic dispensing, as well the most comprehensive book available on the subject. A must-have for any optician.
- Understanding Lens Surfacing, by Brooks
The standard text on lens surfacing. An excellent reference for any surfacing laboratory, or for eyecare professionals interested in the surfacing process.
- Vision Science: From Photons to Phenomenology, by Palmer
An excellent text in vision science and visual perception from a neurophysical and psychological perspective.
- Vision and Sports, by Gregg
An introductory text on sports vision. Out-of-print.
- CRC's Vision and Visual Dysfunction, by Cronly-Dillon
A massive, 17-volume series on physiological optics and vision science. Out-of-print.
- Visual Optics, by Emsley
The classic, authorative text on visual optics that set the standard. Out-of-print.
- Visual Optics and Refraction: A Clinical Approach, by Michaels
An excellent, comprehensive text on visual optics, ophthalmic optics, and refraction. Out-of-print.
- Visual Perception: A Clinical Orientation, by Schwartz
A standard text in visual perception from a primarily optometric perspective.
- Visual Perception: An Introduction, by Wade & Swanston
An introductory text in visual perception from a chiefly psychological perspective.
- Visual Stress, by Wilkins
A text on environmental, psychological, and physiological factors influencing eye strain and oculomotor stress. Out-of-print.
- Wavefront Customized Visual Correction, by Krueger, Applegate, & MacRae
An authoritative text on the wavefront aberrations of the eye and wave-guided, customized refractive surgery.